Burgess in Junior A League Semi

Junior A league 24th May 2014

Burgess 0-15 Nenagh 0-15

With both sides vying for a semi-final berth this was always going to be a taut affair. Burgess required only a draw while nothing but a win would do Nenagh in this final group game in Kilcolman.

Nenagh, with the aid of a stiff breeze, were first off the mark with two well taken points in the second minute of the game. We had to wait until the 5th minute for Tadgh O’Halloran to open our account with a fine long range effort. A seventh minute free from Keith Nealon had the side’s level at two points each. A minute later Conor Gill gave us the lead with a fantastic long range point scored from near the touchline. A minute later Nenagh were back on terms with a pointed free.

Our one point advantage was restored thanks to  an excellent Tony Hogan point leaving the score Burgess 0-04 Nenagh 0-03.Nenagh then tagged on three point without reply, two from play and one free, to leave Burgess two point adrift. Conor Gill arrested the rot with another fine point leaving us just a point behind again. Nenagh responded with two quick fire points before Keith Nealon tapped over his second free of the day to leave Burgess trailing six points to eight. Two more scores for Nenagh had us four points adrift with three minutes remaining in the half.

A goal mouth scramble that could have easily resulted in a goal for Burgess yielded a pointed free for Keith Nealon. Garrett Howard finished off the scoring for the half with a fantastic individual score taken from the most acute of angles to leave Burgess trailing eight points to ten at half time.

The second half began brightly with wing back Brian Tucker sallying forward to take a tremendous point within a minute of the restart. Nenagh responded with a pointed free soon followed by another excellent Burgess score by Paidi Gill. A minute later Conor Gill was on hand to level the game at eleven points each. Two minutes later Conor’s midfield partner Johnny Ryan was on hand to give Burgess the lead after he got on the end of a well worked move. The lead was short lived however with Nenagh firing over three unanswered points in three minutes to put us two points behind. 0-12 to 0.-14, with thirteen minutes remaining. Points by Keith Nealon and Johnny Ryan had the game all square with 4 minutes remaining at fourteen each when up stepped Brian Tucker with the score of the game to give Burgess the lead with two minutes remaining.

Nenagh grabbed a late equalising point which wasn’t enough to prevent Burgess from gaining a mouth-watering semi-final berth against neighbours Kildangan. Date and time TBC. please check the Guardian fixtures as well as the club website and social media for further info.

As it happened:


JAHL 2014 V Nenagh


Some EPIC video footage:



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: