Match Report: Burgess reach North u21 Final

Burgess v Lorrha North U21B semi-final 2016 

6th November 2016 


Conor Gill reaches highest

Lorrha upon winning the toss opted to play with the advantage of the bitter North wind which was gusting straight down the field towards the road end of the Puckane pitchLorrha weren’t slow about making their meteorological advantage on the scoreboard either with two points inside the first minute. Burgess struck back with a well worked point from play by Keith Nealon. Seconds later Bill O’Flaherty had the sides level with a well struck point driven into the teeth of that bitter wind. Lorrha pushed ahead once more with two fine scores the first a long range effort from midfielder Niall McEntyre and the second from close range by full forward Jamie Lewis. The Burgess reply came from a pointed 21 metre free by Keith Nealon after he himself was fouled as he claimed a high ball and turned goal bound. All told we were doing well and holding the score down on the face of a strong wind and determined Lorrha opposition.   

In the very next play Andy Dunne forced a spectacular save from the Lorrha Keeper Patrick Reddin and Keith Nealon pointed the resulting ’65 to level the game once more. A foot trip on Andy Dunne in 22nd minute resulted in a pointed Nealon free and Burgess were in the lead for the first time in the game. That lead was cancelled by two monstrous strikes by Lorrha centre back Brian Hogan. The first from play and the second came from a placed ball. Lorrha then extended their lead to two points with three minutes remaining through full forward Jamie Lewis with a carbon copy of his earlier score. Keith Nealon sent the teams in level at half time with two pointed frees coming courtesy of some wild Lorrha pulling. The half time score, 0-7 each. 

The second half was barely 10 seconds old when Tony Gleeson notched over his first point of the game to give Burgess the lead. Two excellent points by Andy Dunne and Aidan O’Flaherty had Burgess three points ahead 0-7 to 0-10 when a needless late tackle by Brian Hogan on Conor Gill gave Keith another opportunity to demonstrate his accuracy from dead balls to push Burgess into a four point lead after only six minutes of play. Lorrha opened their account for the half with a long range free by Brian Hogan after some Burgess dissent saw the ball moved forward into a scorable position. A minute later Burgess stretched their lead to six points, 1-11 to 0-8, when after some precise interplay between Conor Gill and Aidan O’Flaherty resulted in Keith Nealon crashing the ball into the Lorrha net.  

Video of the Burgess Goal:

This goal was immediately cancelled by Lorrha’s Jamie Lewis who got on the end of a long delivery in front of the square and lashed it first time passed a helpless Paul Carroll into the Burgess net.  

The Burgess ship was steadied a minute later when Reddin in the Lorrha goal was called upon to direct a goal bound Bill O’Flaherty effort over the bar to increase the Burgess lead to four points. Another Nealon free’ won once again by the hard working Conor Gill in 42nd minute extended our lead to five points, 1-13 to 1-8. 

Lorrha’s response came in the 44th minute with another fine point from play by Brian Hogan. This would prove to be as close as Lorrha, despite their undoubted hard work,  could get to Burgess for the remainder of the game. 

Keith Nealon was next on the score sheet from play for Burgess with a fine point off his left hand side. A minute later that man Jamie Lewis was to once again proving to be a thorn in Burgess’s side with another of his trademark points. Two minutes later the ever industrious Conor Gill restored the five point lead with a well worked point from play, 1-15 to 1-10. Brian Hogan then added to his tally converting a free he’d won himself to pull Lorrha back to within four points once again. The response however was immediate as Bill O’Flaherty found himself on the end of the resulting puckout and smashed over his third point of the day. Lorrha’s final score of the game came again from the impressive Jamie Lewis who had to be satisfied with a point after pressing hard for that desperately needed goal. Keith Nealon had the final say on the scoreboard however after some Lorrha over carrying resulted in another pointed free tto leave his tally 1-10 for the day 

Burgess ran out five point winners in the end, 1-17 to 1-12 and will face Templederry Ballinahinch in the final who have been posting massive ‘A’ worthy scorelines on their way through the competition. We wish the lads the best of luck in the final the time, venue and date of which are yet to be confirmed. 

The Burgess Team: Paul Carroll, Jack Maloney, Drew BolandLee Howard, Adam Coady, Pat Woods, Tommy Coughlan,  Conor Gill (0-1),  Ronan TuckerPaudie Gill,  Bill O’Flaherty (0-3), Aiden O’Flaherty (0-1)Andy Dunne (0-1), KeitNealon (1-10 –  0-7f, 0-1 ’65), Tony Gleeson (0-1). subs used: Will Fogarty, Shane McCarthyKeith Mulqueen.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: